The Rancilio Rocky is built by a company with a great reputation in making high quality commercial espresso machines and grinders. They took their commercial product expertise and made one of the most durable, highly rated espresso/coffee grinders available on the market today.
Some of the Rancilio Rocky’s features include:
- Two model variations available:
- Doserless model: Uses a chute rather than a doser, which helps reduce waste of coffee grinds because you will only grind what is needed. The doserless model allows users to have more control over the amount of grounds that go into something like a coffee filter.
- Dosing model: With the doser model of the Rancilio Rocky, you can dispense ground coffee into the portafilter from your espresso machine. When coffee is ground, it falls into a doser container. To dispense coffee into a portafilter or container, a handle is pulled which allows coffee to drop through a small hole. Each pull of the handle dispenses about 7 grams of coffee grounds. With a doser, users can measure out the correct amount of espresso grounds into an espresso machine portafilter.
- 55 grind settings – With 55 different grind settings you can’t go wrong. You will have no trouble finding a setting that meets your exact need, whether you are looking for a very course grind for something like a French press or for a very fine grind for something like Turkish coffee. The Rancilio Rocky’s best range? It does course quite well, but it’s best range is medium to ultra-fine.
- Commercial grade motor – Simply put, the motor on the Rancilio Rocky is amazing, something that almost all Rancilio Rocky grinder owners are more than happy to attest to. It’s a direct drive motor with 166 watts of power – more than enough for the most demanding applications. Weighing nearly 12 pounds, with a RPM rating of 1725, it just keeps on spinning! As an added benefit, it is also very quiet when compared to similar grinders. As a protective feature, the grinder has a high temperature overload switch that will help prevent damage if a foreign object such as a stone is accidently mixed with the coffee beans.
- Commercial grade grinding burrs – with a diameter of 50mm and flat plate style design, the grinding burrs on the Rancilio Rocky are built to last.
- Hopper with UV protection – Protect your bean quality and flavor while stilling being able to monitor bean level with a clear hopper that has blue or rose (Rancilio is in the process of updating the look) tinting for UV protection. The bean capacity is approximately 0.5 LBs. To make cleaning easy, the hopper is designed to lift off easily.
- Easy operation – Just switch the grinder on to grind and switch it off when you’re done!
- Great aesthetics – something that comes up time and time again in consumer and professional reviews is the aesthetics of the Rancilio Rocky – most people have nothing but praise for it’s appearance. It will complement most kitchen designs very well.
- Commercial grade construction – With a heavy duty aluminum frame, stainless steel back panel and base, and commercial grade motor and burrs, this grinder is built like a rock! For it’s price range, the Rancilio Rocky is arguably the most durable grinder available. Some customers even use it for light commercial applications.
- 20 to 30 seconds to grind a double shot.
- Capable of producing 5.5 to 7.7 LBs/hour
- Quality tested – the manufacturer tests every grinder to ensure it is working correctly before shipment. So if you notice small amounts of coffee grinds on the product when you get it, it’s not because it’s used!
- Rubber vibration-dampening feet
- Removable filter handle guide – leave it on if you use a portafilter on a regular basis or take it off if you use a coffee filter or container more often.
- Made in Italy
- Designed for the Italian market that uses smaller, less oily coffee beans With larger beans you may need to remove the finger guard.
Rancilio Rocky Specifications
Dimensions (w x d x h)
120 x 250 x 350 mm
10.5 Oz (300 g)
2.0 in (50 mm)
110 V / 230 V
7 Reviews Hide Reviews Show Reviews
Approximate Time Owned 4 years Rating Overall 4/5 Reliability Rating 5/5 Value for the Price 4/5 Usability Rating 4/5 Aesthetics Rating 5/5 Detailed Review Heavy duty grinder. Powerful flat burr grinder. Not fancy, just for grinding into portafilter. No timer. Need to hold button to grind. Difficult to clean burrs. Grinds great. Even grind - the whole point.
Rancilio Rocky SD
Approximate Time Owned 10 years Rating Overall 4/5 Reliability Rating 5/5 Value for the Price 5/5 Usability Rating 5/5 Aesthetics Rating 4/5 Detailed Review Extremely reliable, fairly quiet, easy to use and, while not flashy, reasonably good looking. Very easy to grind coffee directly into the portafilter and easy to clean. It is equipped with large grinding discs, just like its far more expensive competitors. It does tend to produce some little "clots" of grounds, but these are easily dispersed when you tamp the grounds. I would rate it even higher if only it allowed for finer adjustment of the grind. This is not a major defect as one can compensate by adjusting the tamping pressure. A great machine for the money!
Approximate Time Owned 2 years Rating Overall 4/5 Reliability Rating 5/5 Value for the Price 5/5 Usability Rating 4/5 Aesthetics Rating 4/5 Detailed Review The grinder has 40+ grind size settings. It seems to do a good job of creating consistent grinds. It is fairly quiet. The grind size selector is difficult to turn when going from large to small...at least on our model which is several years old. Overall, great value.
We've owned this grinder for 2 years and it's great. I bought it used and don't know how long the prior owner had it or used it, but it's still running strong. I got a great deal on it and a La Pavoni espresso machine. When I looked up how much this grinder costs I thought that's rediculous and who would spend that much on a grinder? I've always used the $75 grinders that Costco sells and thought those were perfect. Then I got this...absolute game changer. Can't ever go back to the cheap grinders. The grind seems very uniform at the espresso level. Once you get to a coarse grind, like cold brew or French press style, it isn't quite as uniform and there are some fine grinds mixed in with the coarse. Its not a lot and it's not terrible, but if you're buying this for mostly not espresso grind it's something to think about. It's significantly quieter than any other grinder I've ever used. That part is really nice since our upstairs bedroom is open to the kitchen and with all the other grinders I woke up the wife every morning, not anymore with this grinder. The 40+ grind settings are great and we can make slight adjustments to the grind to adjust for different roasts or humidity levels in the house. Overall I highly recommend this grinder with the only thing I can say negative about it is the slight amount of fine grinds mixed in with the coarse when doing a coarse grind.
This is for the doser model, grinds fine easy to adjust, if I had to do it again I would get the doserless model, the doser is super messy.
Rancilio Rocky SD or SS Espresso / Coffee Grinder - Doser Models
great grinder, it is a little tank, resistant to daily use, I use it in my house, 2-3 times a day, even more on weekends. It is quite simple to clean. Great quality of its parts. Easy to use. Easy to set, easy to set up the level of grinding. it works fine grinding large amounts at a time. recommended
Great grinder. Absolutely consistent and built llike a brick chicken house.